Cosmetic Dentistry services offered by your New Westminster dentist.
Your cosmetic dentist in New Westminster knows that a smile can be the most eye-catching feature of a face. With dentistry’s many advances you no longer have to settle for stained, chipped, or misshapen teeth – you now have choices that can help you smile with confidence. Even the most subtle change in your smile can make a dramatic difference in the way you look and feel about yourself.
And while cosmetic dentistry is primarily used to increase the visual appeal of your teeth and gums, many cosmetic procedures can also be used to increase your oral health and comfort.
Keep reading below for descriptions of our cosmetic dentistry services.
Take Home Whitening
Custom impressions of your teeth are required to make a precise set of trays to fit your upper and lower teeth. It takes a few days to fabricate the trays and when you return you are provided with the bleaching trays, whitening gel and instructions on their use.
Each night you will spread small amounts of gel in appropriate areas for both the upper and the lower trays. We normally suggest that you do this for ten nights in a row. Some people do experience sensitivity with the home whitening kit in which case we suggest that you stop the procedure for one or two nights then start up again when the sensitivity has subsided.
If you keep your whitening trays in a safe place, you can use them again for a touch up. Extra whitening gel can be purchased from our office to provide a whitening boost.
Your Cosmetic Dentist New Westminster Offers Teeth Whitening Treatments
Many patients choose teeth whitening for upcoming weddings, graduations, job interviews, class reunions and anniversaries. With professional teeth whitening treatment you can:
- Erase years of stains from drinking, eating or something
- Make your teeth up to 8 shades whiter
- Appear younger
- Achieve a long-lasting, beautiful smile
The Zoom!® In-Office Whitening System uses proprietary technology to whiten your teeth an average of eight shades (individual results may vary) in about one hour while you relax at your dentist’s office.
Zoom! is a revolutionary tooth whitening procedure. It’s safe effective and fast, very fast. In just over an hour, your teeth will be dramatically whiter. The convenience of Zoom! in comparison to days of using strips or wearing trays makes it the perfect choice for the busy individual.
The Zoom! teeth whitening procedure follows these steps:
1. A dentist checks their patient’s teeth and gums. This is because the dentist must first decide whether or not the patient’s gums are healthy enough to handle teeth bleaching.
2. If the patient is able to proceed with the Zoom!® teeth whitening procedure, the dentist will then embark on a short preparation to isolate the patient’s lips and gums.
3. From there, the dentist will then apply the Zoom!® whitening gel, which contains specifically formulated, pH balanced hydrogen peroxide, on the patient’s teeth.
4. To activate the Zoom! whitening gel, the dentist applies a specially designed, low-heat light that penetrates the patient’s teeth. The effect of this process is that the hydrogen peroxide contained in the Zoom!® whitening gel attaches itself to stained molecules on the teeth, weakening them. This allows oxygen to enter the patient’s tooth enamel and whitens them.
5. The dentist then repeats this twenty-minute gel application two more times for the Zoom!® teeth whitening system to reach its full effect.
6. To end the Zoom! teeth whitening procedure, the patient undergoes a five-minute fluoride treatment.
Orthodontics at your New Westminster Dentist
Orthodontics can be used for mainly cosmetic reasons, or it can be used to treat any type of malocclusion, which is simply another way of saying “bad bite” and to correct the alignment of crooked teeth giving you a straightened, broad smile. A malocclusion means your lips, teeth and/or jaws do not line up correctly. Orthodontists or dentists use corrective procedures to achieve tooth jaw alignment and aesthetically pleasing smiles.
What causes orthodontic problems?
Crowding, spacing, protrusion, extra or missing teeth and some jaw problems can be genetically inherited. Other malocclusions can develop over time and are caused from such reasons as thumb-sucking, poor dental hygiene, early or late loss of baby teeth and early loss of permanent teeth. It is important to treat these problems as they can sometimes cause hard to clean areas, tooth decay, difficulty chewing and/or speaking, possible jaw joint issues, periodontal challenges and many other issues.
Your cosmetic dentist here at New Westminster City Dentist can help you with these issues.
Invisalign® treatment uses 3-D computer imaging technology to depict the complete treatment plan from the initial position to the final desired position from which a series of custom-made “Aligners” are produced. Each “Aligner” moves teeth incrementally and is worn for about two weeks, then replaced by the next in the series until the final position is achieved.
Aligners are made of clear, strong medical grade plastic that is virtually invisible when worn. They look similar to clear tooth-whitening trays, but are custom-made for a better fit to move teeth. Some orthodontists and dentists have referred to them as “contact lenses for teeth.”
How do Invisalign® clear aligners effectively move teeth?
Like brackets and archwires, Invisalign® aligners move teeth through the appropriate placement of controlled force on the teeth. The difference is that Invisalign® treatment not only controls forces, but also controls the timing of the force application. At each stage, only certain teeth are allowed to move, and these movements are determined by the orthodontic treatment plan for that particular stage. This results in an efficient force delivery system.
There are four primary benefits of Invisalign® clear aligners:
1. Invisalign® treatment is nearly invisible-you can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing.
2. Invisalign® treatment is removable-you can eat and drink what you want in treatment; you can also brush and floss normally to maintain good oral hygiene.
3. Invisalign® treatment is comfortable-there are no metal brackets or wires to cause mouth irritation; no metal or wires also means you spend less time in the doctor’s chair getting adjustments.
4. Invisalign® treatment allows you to view your own virtual treatment plan before you start so you can see how your straight teeth will look when your treatment is complete.
Invisalign® treatment is the easiest way for you to straighten your teeth without metal brackets and wires. We have experienced Invisalign® provider certified dentists to help get your teeth straighter and the smile you have always wanted.
Book your Invisalign® treatment consultation today!
Porcelain veneers are ultra-thin shells of ceramic material, which are bonded to the front of a tooth with very strong resin cement. This procedure requires little anesthesia, and can be the ideal choice for improving the appearance of the front teeth. Porcelain veneers are placed to mask discolored teeth or change the shape and appearance of crooked or chipped teeth.
There are many situations that arise that lend themselves to treatment with veneers. One indication is for restoring teeth with discoloration that have been unaffected by the more conventional tooth whitening approaches, such as bleaching. Some examples of this are teeth that have severe tetracycline (an antibiotic) staining or discoloration from a previous injury to the tooth. Another major indication is for teeth that require significant changes in their shape or contour. By placing veneers, small or misshapen teeth can be built up to regain a more natural appearance, spaces between teeth can be closed by making the teeth wider and teeth that are too short can be lengthened.
Veneers are a very popular treatment option for a variety of reasons. They are one of the most conservative restorations that can be done. This means that the amount of tooth structure that must be removed in order to do a veneer is very small. Generally, only 0.3 to 0.7 mm needs to be removed from the surface of your tooth. The veneer is then made and bonded to the tooth, incorporating the desired changes in shape and color. Since the veneer is so thin and there is no metal in it, the esthetic potential is very high.
A porcelain veneer requires a longer treatment time. At the first appointment, your teeth are prepared and an impression is made of them. Temporary veneers are made out of plastic and placed on your teeth. They are used to protect your teeth while the real veneers are being fabricated. You can also use them to evaluate the look and feel of your teeth so that any changes you desire can be incorporated into your real veneers. At the second appointment, the temporary veneers are removed and the porcelain veneers are bonded to your teeth. Although they are thin, porcelain veneers are much stronger than composite ‘bonding’ veneers, so the risk of fracture as compared with composite veneers is much less. However, if a fracture does occur, repairing it is more difficult and may result in the veneer having to be remade.
In general, porcelain veneers can be used in a greater variety of situations with a higher level of predictability. Since they are made outside the mouth, the shape and color can be easier to control, thus enhancing the final result.
Dental Bonding is a procedure that utilizes a composite resin that is applied and hardened with a special light, which essentially “bonds” the resin to the tooth to restore or improve a person’s smile.
Dental Bonding is an option that can be a solution to:
- Improve the appearance of discolored teeth
- Repair chipped or cracked teeth
- Repair decayed teeth
- Close spaces between teeth
- Make teeth look longer